Saturday, October 16, 2010

Remember These Childhood Ice Cream Sticks?记得这些童年冰淇淋棒?





14 Oct 2010, I found ice cream bag at mini market unexpectedly which I thought it has long been in the history !! My two little girls jumped with joy when I told them that they were going to do their own ice cream back home later. We found joy deep in our heart as the two girls were going to do ice cream for the first time and I was holding my old sweet childhood memory with the ice cream bag on hand.
When I was a little girl, my neighbour who stayed few doors away ran business in the house selling ice cream sticks with variety of flavour namely barley, ribena, lime, milo, coke, sarsi, longan laici etc. I could vividly remember the ice cream stick was sold initially with 5 cents, increased to 20 cents few years later then inflated to 50 cents down the years and apparently it is now sold at the price range of 80cents to RM1.20! Imagine, what a power of inflation!!
My childhood was spent solely in the kampong (countryside village) with big cycle of neighbourhood playmates. We played own DIY (do it yourself) toys with materials found in nature. We handmade kite from newspaper and bamboo sticks, mooncake festive Lantern with milo container, "lastic" with tree branches,  gun with wood and bullet with seeds etc. We drank coconut juice plucked from the tree, ate sweet corn grown by grandpa, rice from paddy field, vegetable from farm, chicken duck grown by mother in the backyard and seafood caught from the sea by a relative fisherman.
Finally, we (my sisters brother, cousin sisters brothers and neighbour playmates) learnt to make our own ice cream sticks from the adults like mother when we were small. We would first prepare the ice cream syrup of our  desired flavour then pour into ice cream bags and lastly freeze in the refrigerator. Ribena was my favourite syrup flavour. We boiled "Ribena" syrup from the seeds of a flower plant with name unknown. My first encounter to the flower plant was introduced by my cousin sister and it was planted outside the fence of the neighbour house. It tasted and coloured like Ribena. I started to plant my own "Ribena" flower plant eventually.
Now, I share this childhood story with my kids and teach them to make own ice cream stick like my mother did to me.
I felt the joy joy joy joy delt in my heart....as I played the slideshow with music, I heard my two daugthers singing along especially with great surprise to find the voice coming from my youngest daugther of 2 years old!


记得这些童年冰淇淋棒
20101014日,我意外在小型市场发现冰淇淋袋,我以为它已成历史当我告诉我的两个小女孩,他们回家后可自己做冰淇淋,兴得跳了起来们发现了内心深处的喜悦,这两个女孩将第一次做冰淇淋,俄我正抱着甜蜜的童年回忆 当我还是一个小女孩,我的邻居经营售卖冰淇淋,有各种口味如玉米,利宾纳,milo,sarsi,龙眼等.我清楚地记得冰淇淋棒最初卖马币五分,上升到后几年20分,然后膨胀到50分,显然现在售马币80cents马币1.20不此!想象一下,通货膨胀的力量! 我的童年是在乡村长大。 们玩用然天材料自己动手做的玩具。们用报纸和竹条手工制作风筝,“Milo”罐制作花灯,树枝制作弹弓,用木头和种子制做枪弹,我们喝从树上摘下椰子果汁,吃由爷爷种植的甜玉米,乡村耕耘的稻米,从农地种植的蔬菜,养在后院的鸡鸭及渔民捕获的海鲜。 最后,我们(我的兄弟姐妹,堂表兄弟姐妹和邻居玩伴)向妈妈学会自己做冰淇淋棒。们会先准备喜欢的口味冰淇淋糖浆,再倒入冰淇淋袋,最后冷冻在冰箱。 我是由我的表妹绍,第一次接触到姓名不详但味道像极利宾纳的植物,它种植在邻居家围栏。们用花植物的种子煮宾纳浆。我也开始亲手种下我自己的宾纳植物。
 现在,我和我的孩子分享这个故事,并教导他们自己做冰淇淋棒,像我母亲对我做的。
 同时,我觉得极大的惊喜,.为当我用音乐播放影片,我听到我的两个女跟随哼唱,特别是我最小2

No comments:

Post a Comment